Monday, July 30, 2007

Glee!

My Ravelry invite came today and I've been busy organizing my needles and stash so I can add them all. There are tons of pictures to take for it so I will be fairly busy with it for a few days. The yarn to the left is Iced, and is listed in the shop.

I'm tempted to knit a quick hat today for my trip outside later but that means less time on Ravelry! Why would I do this? Well, yesterday I dyed my hair. I did a test swatch and mixed everything as directed. The swatch looked good and matched the color on the box exactly. Fantastic, I thought, because the box had a very deep and rich henna red on it. I thought it would be a deep cherry brown, natural-ish looking and vibrant. So I put it in my hair, let it sit for the recommended 40 minutes and washed it out. Then I caught a glimpse of it in the mirror.

I HAVE CLOWN HAIR.

I've been dying my hair for a long time, so it's not user error in this case. The rich dark color apparently turned into a watery neon carrot color. I expected my roots to be a little brighter since they're blonde naturally but I wasn't expecting carrot. Uneven carrot at that. Parts of my hair are barely dyed, some parts are neon and some are just weird. Why the swatch looked fine but the rest didn't I do not know. I do, however, know that this color is not acceptable and I will have to cover it with something much darker (and not red). I've had hair color "break" only once before, maybe eight years ago. I dyed it jet black and ended up with green, gray and purple-ish sludge color.

No comments: