Sunday, June 10, 2007

Something About Yarn

It drives my cats crazy. There is something completely irresistible about a dangling piece of yarn in my knitting that screams to my cats "Chew on me!" "Play with me!" "Attack me!" This is why I now try to weave in the ends as I go since I am prone to leaving my current WIP unattended. The current WIP is a skinny lace scarf in a soft purple color. This is the first time I have done lace, and it's not nearly as hard as it looks. The patterns can be really confusing because there are a lot of yarn overs and knitting X amount together on almost every row so you have to keep track of it, but overall it's easy.

I'm working with a basic pattern with only a two row repeat, so there's not a lot of pattern watching, and fairly straightforward. Some experimenting with the stitches gave me a very nice pattern of thick "leaves" on the sides of the scarf with a solid "trunk" up the center. It looks a lot thicker right now since it hasn't been blocked yet. I have my doubts about how well this yarn will block, but even if it doesn't, the leaves look nice.

No comments: